Monday, June 28, 2010

Landen's Birth Story

Well here it goes...

Friday morning (June 11th) we were scheduled at 8 a.m for my c-section. We got there at 6:30, did our paper work, started the IV's, talked with the Anesthesiologist (A) & visited briefly with my doctor before getting rolled into the Operating Room. My A told me that they were going to give me a spinal, and I asked if it would be okay to get a epidural instead. She told me that their procedure is to use spinals. I asked her again for the epidural because I had em for the other two c-sections and reacted fine to them. She reaffirmed to me that everything would be fine and that they will be using a spinal. So, I said fine, and off we went to the OR. There was about 5 women (including me) in the room getting things ready. We were having a great time laughing and giggling about different things. I told the A nurse that I get nauseous easily. She got me prepped and then gave me the spinal. Laid me down instantly and about 20 seconds later, I had a hard time breathing. I said: "I'm having a hard time breathing." I tried to take another breath and could only breath 1/2 breath, and then, nothing.

She asked me if I could breath, and all I could do was shake my left hand like in a panic motion. I couldn't open my eyes, or move anything else on my body except for my hand and that went limp after another 10 seconds. I could hear everything going on in the room. I hear the A say: "Let's go, this is the real thing, get me blah, blah, blah (can't remember)." All I could think about was the fact that I couldn't breath and how much longer could I feel like this before I die? She told me that she was going to put a tube in to help me breath. It took 2 seconds and I could feel my chest moving up and down. Then she let go of my chin for a minute and I felt myself sagging down. I remember thinking, "what the crap is she letting go for?" Then I felt her lift my chin back up and my chest started pumping again. I hear her say: Okay Mia, we're going to put you to sleep and take good care of you. Everything is going to be fine." Then my Dr. came in and yelled: "Let's go, let's go, I want the baby out in 3 minutes." That was the last words I remember hearing.

I woke up on the table getting transfered to my recovery bed and being rolled off to recovery. They said, my baby was fine and everything went smoothly. (YEAH RIGHT, I don't think so)

While everything was happening, Brian was waiting to come and join me when the nurse came in and told him there was a complication and that Mia had to be put to sleep and the baby will be fine but that he can't come back to the OR anymore. She would come and get him on the way to the nursery with the baby. Poor Brian. I can only imagine what was going through his mind at that moment.

While I was in the recovery room, Brian and the baby came to visit. As well as my Anesthesiologist and Anesthesiologist Nurse. They asked how I was doing and told me that the spinal migrated upwards as well as down. But, that they would come and talk to me in a couple hours when I was more "with it" and explain it further.

Well, a few hours later, they came in and again asked how I was. I was just happy to be alive and have my beautiful baby in my arms. Nothing else mattered. They proceed to tell me that there was a muscle relaxant medication given to me that is only given to someone under general anesthesia. This was why I stopped breathing and why I couldn't open my eyes, but hear everything going on. A lot of people that this happens to has dealt with PTSD (Post Tramatic Stress Disorder) and is very serious. They could have given me something to forget what had happened to me, but it would have lowered my blood pressure and that would not be good for me or the baby. (Can you believe that there is something like that out there, that the Dr's can give you with out your permission and you would never know. Crazy)

Anyways, after they told us all of this, they apologized and left. They did come and check in on me every day I was at the hospital to see how I was doing. They better pray I don't have nightmares about that. It's hard enough talking about it. It gets me all worked up. I will have to say that it would probably be harder if I didn't have little Landen to take care of. Because of him, my mind is on just that, and not the trauma that I went through.

Now, I know what a lot of you are thinking... Sue them! Well, this is the point in the story were it gets to be a family matter, and I choose not to talk about the steps or actions we will or won't take. I'm just thankful to my Heavenly Father that I'm fine and that my sweet little Landen is healthy. We will pray for the guidance we need. Thank you to all of our friends and family for the love, prayers and support you have all shown us this last 2 weeks.

5 comments:

Andie said...

Oh, Mia, I'm so sorry. What a horrible, horrible experience but I'm so glad you have your beautiful little baby now and that he makes you all so happy. :) XOXOXO

Jessi, DJ, Annica and Eli said...

Oh goodness! That sounds so scary!! and I thought my loopiness during my labor was bad, not anymore!! I am so glad that you are ok, and that sweet little landen is with you. thank goodness that everything is ok now! he sure is adorable!

Amy said...

Oh. My. Goodness. That is basically one of my worst fears. I am so sorry that you had to go through that. Thankfully everything ended up ok. And he is so adorable!

Lara said...

What a scary experience. I had a traumatic birth with one of my kids and it made holding and snuggling him all the more meaningful to me. I barely set him down the first year of his life.

I'm glad that you and Landen are healthy and well now. He's a cutie pie!

Mari said...

Ok, so I know this is like more than a month late but I just wanted to say how proud I am of you for hanging in there and making it through the entire ordeal. High five to Landen for toughing it out too and Brian for being a trooper. What a great perspective you have. This world would be so much better if more people thought and acted like you :)